9/10/16

"Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris Review





One afternoon recently, I was flipping through a Christian Book magazine, and noticed a book I had never heard of before.  It was "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris.  Intrigued, I decided to look it up on Amazon.  I read the sample provided, and knew I wanted to read it. When it came in the mail a few days later, I was ecstatic to begin reading.  "Do Hard Things" proved to be one of the best books I have ever read.  I loved reading a book from someone who has the same thoughts and views I do about young adults.  Alex and Brett Harris encourage teenagers to rebel - not against parents and other influences - but against our society's low expectations.  This radical way of thinking and living uses the teenage years for good, and things of lasting value.  As Christians, we shouldn't waste the teenage years, but use them for God's glory.  Included below is what the premise of the book is written on, "The Five Kinds of Hard," and a few quotes.  I highly recommend reading this book, and would also recommend encouraging others you know to do the same.

The Five Kinds of Hard:
-Things that are outside your comfort zone
-Things that go beyond what is expected or required
-Things that are too big to accomplish alone
-Things that don't earn an immediate payoff
-Things that challenge the cultural norm

"The teen years are not a vacation from responsibility.  They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

"Where some might look down on or excuse young adults, God calls us to be examples.  Where our culture might expect little, God expects great things."

"Our trust is not in the greatness of our vision or the strength of our effort, but in the grace and wisdom and goodness of God.  Our reason for rebelling against low expectations in the world around us is that Jesus tells us He has overcome the world and through faith in Him - so can we."


No comments: