10/20/20

Chesapeake Shores Review

                                      

Image found online

I have so enjoyed watching the Chesapeake Shores TV series on the Hallmark Movies Now app recently.  I know it has been around for a while, but I'm late to the party and never watched it while it was airing in real-time.  This fun series is set in fictional Chesapeake Shores, Maryland, and it has an amazing small-town feel to it. I love that the characters can drive their golf cart into town and grab a bite to eat.  All the beach and water scenes make me want to visit a northeastern beach. The series is *relatively* family-friendly.  It is a Christian show, but the Christian references are sometimes few and far between. All things considered, it is a pretty benign and light-hearted show that I believe you would enjoy too.

The first season had a lot of family drama in it.  Child custody disputes and old grudges added a good bit of tension to the first season.  It wasn't overpowering, but for me, it made it less enjoyable.  When I watch TV, I generally want it to be relaxing and happy.  I love Jess's personality but wish she was able to forgive the grudges she held against her mother (edit: they mellow out over time!).

The second season had a lot less tension and drama in it.  I thought something was off with Abbie but after some research, I realized she was pregnant in real life during that season.  She wasn't showing huge at the time, but it was funny seeing her always carrying something bulky or camera angles hiding her growing belly.  I enjoyed this season a lot more than the first one since it was more low-key and relaxed.  Trace and Lee's song will get stuck in your head - you've been warned!  Jess's romance is the cutest thing ever. 

Season three was a lot of fun.  Trace Riley, Simon Atwater, and Kevin's girlfriend really grew on me this season.  Admittedly, I didn't care a whole lot for any of the three early on.  Trace spent a lot of time on the road, which strained his and Abbie's relationship.  Meanwhile, Jess's relationship continues to bloom.  Her boyfriend's character, integrity, and commitment are admirable.  He has turned into one of my favorite characters on the show!  

Season four was lovely but sad to watch since I knew it was coming to an end.  It's six episodes were over way too fast.  This season was full of life-altering moments. I so enjoyed watching the characters navigate life and happily ever afters.    

Season five is supposedly coming out next year, so we'll see!  You'll find me impatiently waiting until then :).

No comments: