11/10/20

Books I Want to Re-Read

Photo via Pinterest

Since I so enjoyed re-reading several books from my summer book list, I decided to compile another list of books I want to re-read.   As C.S. Lewis wisely noted: "I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once" :).

Christy by Catherine Marshall
 I have talked about this book so. many. times. at this point, I'm sure. What can I say?  It's one of my favorites!  :)  In this book, a young Christy Huddleston leaves behind her extravagant lifestyle to teach at a mission school in the backwoods of the Appalachian mountains.  It is just. so. good.  The TV series was alright, but the book is better. 

The Love Comes Softly Series by Janette Oke
There is something so comforting about these books.  Reading them is like watching a Hallmark movie.  The families have their fair share of troubles, but the stories always end happily.  It is so fun watching the families grow and mature over the "years" as the books progress. 

A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich
This book is also very similar to the Love Comes Softly series.  It's another grown-up Little House on the Prairie style book.  Do you see a theme here yet?  :)  There is a sequel to this book, A White Bird Flying, that I still need to read too!

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
This is a classic book set in World War II times.  There are quotes in it that are applicable to any situation I'm currently in.  It's a book that sticks with you long after you've set it down.   

The Lightkeeper's Daughter by Colleen Coble
This book has a lot going on - It's very busy with a lot of storylines.  Best of all, it has a lighthouse setting that caters to my lighthouse obsession. 

Gladys Aylward: The Little Woman by Gladys Aylward
Gladys Aylward is one of my FAVORITE missionaries.  She was a missionary in China where over one-hundred children called her "mom."  It is so beautiful to see how God was working through her and her life. I've read several other books about her life and ministry, but this one has been my favorite so far.  

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
It has been a few years since I last read this book, so I think I'm due!  I've heard there is a really good BBC Pride and Prejudice remake that I'm hoping to watch soon as well.

In His Steps by Charles Sheldon
In this book, a church congregation is challenged to ask themselves "what would Jesus do?" before every thought and action they make.  What they never would have guessed is how this simple question would radically impact their lives and the lives of those around them. 

What books do you turn to again and again?

No comments: